Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wordplay.

I'm probably one of three people in the world who has a thesaurus app on my smartphone.  And I use it.

Words fascinate me.

I especially love those real gems, like 'exquisite', 'dappled', 'caress'...

...and 'hunky dory'.

I like using gems instead of ordinary rocks. 'Facetious' instead of 'sarcastic'. 'Grueling' instead of 'difficult'. 'Vibrant' instead of 'colorful'. And when I don't have a gem handy, I pull out my handy dandy thesaurus.

Sometimes your meaning cannot be conveyed by ordinary words. People would rather you threw gems at them, yes? I don't mean making things wordy and difficult to trudge through, but instead, scenic and descriptive and entertaining.

I am particularly fond of rap music because of the clever employment of wordplay. Double entendres and innuendoes make me stop and appreciate the quick-witted writer.

"The simplest phrase can have a thousand meanings." (Rodmilla, Ever After)

No comments:

Post a Comment